The Far East Region is responsible for oversight and management of DEA operations in 34 countries in Southeast Asia. These activities are executed by personnel assigned to 14 DEA offices located throughout the Region, to include: Bangkok and Chiang Mai, Thailand; Beijing; Guangzhou and Hong Kong, China; Canberra and Sydney, Australia; Jakarta, Indonesia; Manila, Philippines; Seoul, South Korea; Tokyo, Japan; Hanoi, Vietnam; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; and Rangoon, Burma.
DEA’s enforcement priorities in the Far East include disrupting:
- Diversion of pharmaceuticals, New Psychoactive Substances (NPS), and Fentanyl by Far East Region sources of supply
- Chinese chemical companies supplying Transnational Criminal Organizations with precursor chemicals
- Transnational Criminal Organizations distributing illicit substances in the Far East Region
- Utilization of Far East banking and informal value transfer systems to launder illicit proceeds
- Regional sources of supply distributing methamphetamine and heroin within in the Far East Region
DEA also provides assistance to Host Nation governments within Southeast Asia in capacity building to combat international drug trafficking and money laundering.
For more information about a particular country, visit the CIA World Factbook.