What is a DEA Special Agent?
For over 40 years the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), as a component of the U. S. Department of Justice, has been the federal government's greatest weapon in the fight against the illegal drug trade. Today, with the help of over 5,000 DEA Special Agents, we continue to dismantle the most notorious high-level trafficking and terrorist organizations that threaten America. DEA applies the vast range of individual talents, specialized training and skills of our Special Agents to the wide range of responsibilities in our vital mission that include:
- Investigating and helping prosecute major violators of controlled substance laws on U.S. soil and abroad
- Partnering with federal, state, local and foreign officials in managing drug intelligence programs
- Arresting and searching subjects and seizing assets connected to illicit drug trafficking
- Collecting and preparing evidence used to convict drug traffickers, as well as performing other judicial functions
- Managing all programs associated with drug law enforcement counterparts in foreign countries under the policy guidance of the Secretary of State and U.S. Ambassadors.
About You: Who We're Looking For
DEA Special Agents have a long-standing history in combating the critical problems of drug trafficking. At DEA, we seek only the most talented and diverse candidates who have what it takes to help us in our goal to eliminate illegal drug distribution, prosecute traffickers and destroy the financial infrastructure of these organizations. As the federal government's premier drug law enforcement agency, our mission has never been so important—a mission like no other. Learn more about DEA Core Values.