Special Agent FAQs
To be eligible to apply, you need to meet the following criterion:
- Must be 21 years old, and no older than 36 years old at the time of appointment
- Hold U.S. citizenship
- Possess a valid U.S. driver's license
- Be willing to relocate anywhere in the U.S.
- Able to obtain and retain a Top Secret security clearance
- Be in excellent physical condition
- Be willing and able to carry and handle firearms
Candidates need to meet physical and medical requirements, prove they have achieved minimum education and/or job experience, and demonstrate basic competencies needed for the position.
Skills and experience requirements
You need to possess one or more of the following:
- A bachelor's degree (GPA of 2.95 or higher), a master's or a J.D. or LL.B.;
- OR experience assisting in investigations of alleged or suspected violations of the law; participating in multi-agency/organization venues, briefings, meetings, conferences; researching, collecting and analyzing data from a variety of sources relating to investigations; writing reports and conducting briefings of findings, results, or accomplishments for information or action relating to law enforcement activities and/or court cases; assisting court officials and law enforcement personnel with case-related materials; and testifying or presenting evidence for court, legislative, or administrative proceedings;
- OR three+ years of substantive work experience and special skills; e.g., pilot/maritime, accounting/auditing, military/technical, mechanical including information systems, telecommunications, engineering, and/or a foreign language fluency (fluency subject to verification); and a bachelor's degree or higher (no minimum GPA required) with coursework related to the aforementioned special skill
You need to possess all of the following competencies:
- Written and oral communication capabilities
- Attention to detail/memory
- Interpersonal skills
The hiring process
Enter your zip code to find the recruitment office closest to you.
Depending on scheduling and candidate availability, our hiring process may take 12 months or longer.
If you’re interested in becoming a DEA Special Agent, contact your closest DEA Special Agent Recruitment Office to find out how to apply. You can view the latest Special Agent (Criminal Investigator) Job announcement.
Fitness is essential for DEA Special Agents. The Physical Task Assessment (PTA) determines if potential candidates can withstand the rigors of Special Agent training.
Candidates must be in excellent physical condition in order to pass the assessment.
DEA Special Agents are generally hired at the GS-7 or GS-9 level, depending on education and experience. The salary includes federal Law Enforcement Officer base pay plus a locality payment, depending on your duty station. In addition, 25% Law Enforcement Availability Pay (LEAP) will be added to your base and locality pay. After graduation starting salaries are approximately $49,746 for a GS-7 and $55,483 for a GS-9. After four years of service, Special Agents are eligible to progress to the GS-13 level and can earn approximately $92,592 or more per year. Visit the latest Office of Personnel Management Law Enforcement Officer Salary Calculator.
A background investigation (BI) is one of the final steps in the application process that seeks to discern a comprehensive snapshot of you. The investigation provides information on personal history, education and work experience, personal and professional references, as well as other necessary checks. The time it takes to complete the BI is dependent on the type and scope of investigation being conducted.
Check out our other DEA Career Opportunities.
Ready to apply?Value for field field_link_paragraph_icon: '[No Value]' Value for field field_link_paragraph_image: '[No Value]' Value for field field_link_paragraph_label: array ( 0 => array ( 'value' => 'Ready to apply? Contact your local recruitment office.', ), ) Value for field field_link_paragraph_file: '[No Value]' Value for field field_link_paragraph_url: array ( 0 => array ( 'uri' => 'https://www.dea.gov/contact-your-local-recruitment-office', 'title' => '', 'options' => array ( ), ), ) Value for field field_link_paragraph_type: array ( 0 => array ( 'value' => 'Button', ), )
DEA. 8 August, 2019. Special Agent FAQs. Retrieved from https://www.dea.gov/special-agent-faqs on 28 November, 2023
DEA. "Special Agent FAQs."Drug Enforcement Agency, 8 August, 2019, https://www.dea.gov/special-agent-faqs Accessed 28 November, 2023.
DEA. . Drug Enforcement Agency on DEA website. https://www.dea.gov/special-agent-faqs. 8 August, 2019. Accessed 28 November, 2023.