2/4/2020 8:00am - 2/6/2020 5:00pm
Maryland Public Safety Education Training Center
Sykesville, MD 21784
Hosted by: the DEA Washington Division and the National Domestic Communication Assistance Center (NDCAC)
This innovative course provides Criminal Investigators, State & Local Officers, Intel Analysts, Diversion Investigators, and other investigators involved in investigations using open source technology, a fast-paced, hands-on look at social media investigative tools geared for beginner to intermediate-level users.
The course includes tools for search efficiency, operations security, evaluating social media websites, microblog,s and tools for handling digital images.
Students will be able to:
- identify digital ‘footprints’ that users leave online and explore techniques to view websites without being identified
- improve the efficiency of their searches through publicly available (Open Source) information and social networking sites
- search for and through social networks
- Manage research and investigations with open source tools
Practical exercises include the use of the investigative tools demonstrated throughout the course.
This course presents timesaving tools and methodologies with high quality practical exercises to strengthen investigative capabilities.
Participants need to have accounts set up for Gmail, Twitter and Facebook for class use only.
Participants are encouraged to bring case examples to use for the class.
- Operational security
- Evaluating websites
- Advanced and people search
- Exploiting online images
- Social media
- Mobile apps
Please email the DEA Washington Division Training Coordinator Pat Johnakin, at Patrick.I.Johnakin at usdoj dot gov, for registration information.
Upon verification of your active law enforcement status, you will receive an email providing registration details and information.
- There is no cost to attend this course
- Transportation, Lodging, and Meals are not provided.
- Class size is limited to 50 students
- A Government issued ID will be required. No Walk-ins allowed.
NOTE: ** This course is for active law enforcement officers only **