News Release
For Immediate Release
Date: March 12, 2012
Contact: Shawn Ellerman

Baltimore Cocaine Dealer Derek Bowser Exiled to 14 Years in Prison
Also Forfeits Cash, Vehicles, Guns

BALTIMORE, MD -- U.S. District Judge Ellen B. Hollander sentenced Derek Bowser, age 33, of Baltimore, Maryland, to 14 years in prison followed by five years of supervised release for conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute cocaine.

Judge Hollander also ordered Bowser to forfeit all proceeds obtained or retained as a result of the offense, any property used to commit or to facilitate the commission of the offense and all property involved in the offense, including: $31,650 in cash; a1995 Cadillac; a 2005 Ford Excursion; one Uzi 9 mm firearm; and two.45 caliber semiautomatic handguns.

The sentence was announced by Special Agent in Charge Ava Cooper-Davis of the Drug Enforcement Administration - Washington Field Division; United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; and Chief James W. Johnson of the Baltimore County Police Department.

“Today's sentencing of Derek Bowser closes the book on a significant drug trafficker who has been on the radar screen of law enforcement officials for quite some time,” stated Ava Cooper-Davis, Special Agent in Charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration, Washington Division.

According to Bowser’s plea agreement, from 2004 until on or about May 3, 2011, Bowser distributed large quantities of cocaine to drug dealers in the Baltimore metropolitan area, knowing that the other dealers would also distribute the cocaine rather than use it. The total quantity of cocaine the defendant distributed in this period was over 15 kilograms. On May 3, 2011, Bowser was arrested after he took possession of six kilograms of cocaine that he intended to distribute.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein commended the DEA and Baltimore County Police Department for their work in this investigation and thanked Assistant United States Attorneys Robert R. Harding and Benjamin M. Block, who prosecuted this Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force case.