News Release
April 7, 2008

Contact: DEA Public Affairs
(202) 307-7977

Sentencing in Illinois Methamphetamine Case

APR 7 -- East St. Louis, IL - A. Courtney Cox, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Illinois, announced on April 2, 2008 that, RONALD L. SEAGRAVES, age 36, formerly of Troy, Illinois, was sentenced in United States District Court in East St. Louis, Illinois. SEAGRAVES had pled guilty on December 21, 2007, to Conspiracy to Manufacture, Distribute and Possess with Intent to Distribute 500 grams or more of Methamphetamine; Possession of Products with the Intent to Manufacture Methamphetamine; and Possession with Intent to Distribute Methamphetamine. SEAGRAVES was sentenced to a total term of 262 months imprisonment and 10 years supervised release. In addition, SEAGRAVES was ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $3,579, to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the cost incurred by DEA in cleanup associated with SEAGRAVES’ methamphetamine manufacturing activities. SEAGRAVES was also ordered to pay a $300 special assessment.

Four co-defendants have previously been sentenced. Two co-defendants await trial, which is currently scheduled for July 7, 2008. The co-defendants who are awaiting trial are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt to the satisfaction of a jury.

This ongoing investigation into methamphetamine manufacturing activity is being conducted by the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Metropolitan Enforcement Group of Southwestern Illinois (MEGSI), the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office, and other local law enforcement agencies in cooperation with Fayette County State’s Attorney Stephen Friedel and Madison County State’s Attorney William A. Mudge. The ongoing investigation is conducted as part of the Project Safe Neighborhoods DRAGUN Team Initiative, a cooperative effort of local, state and federal law enforcement, and state and federal prosecuting authorities, aimed at ridding communities of illegal drugs and guns.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Kit Morrissey