News Release
Date: March 05, 2012
Contact: Jodie Underwood
Number: (206) 553-1162

Leader of Marijuana Manufacturing Conspiracy Sentenced to Ten Years  

MAR 05 - (Tacoma, WA) – Phoc Huy Nguyen Truong, a 42-year-old Renton, Washington, man was sentenced on March 2, 2012 in U.S. District Court in Tacoma to ten years in prison and five years of supervised release for his leadership role in a marijuana manufacturing scheme.

Truong conspired with others to grow marijuana in houses throughout South King County and the Tacoma area. In many instances the co-conspirators altered the wiring at the homes to steal power to operate the marijuana grows. After the homes were contaminated with mold and toxic chemicals used in grow operations they were abandoned and foreclosed by various banks. When law enforcement searched Truong’s home and car on March 1, 2011, they found five firearms, two of which were loaded. Truong admitted he used the firearms to protect his drug operation.

Truong and his co-conspirators operated Seapac Gardening Equipment, in Fife, Washington. The company supplied equipment and other supplies to manufacture marijuana. Between 2006 and 2010, Truong caused cash deposits totaling $1,292,428 to be made into Seapac’s bank account. The money was from the sale of distribution of marijuana grown in various grow houses associated with Truong and his cohorts. Truong stole power for the grow-ops at three homes in Tacoma and two in Renton. As part of his sentence he is required to pay restitution to Puget Sound Energy and Tacoma Power totaling $71,289.

On October 1, 2011, Truong pleaded guilty to conspiracy to manufacture and distribute marijuana, money laundering and possession of a firearm in furtherance of drug trafficking. The weapons charge requires a consecutive five year sentence in addition to the sentence on the other counts of conviction.

This was an Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force (OCDETF) investigation, providing supplemental federal funding to the federal and state agencies involved. The case was investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration, Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation, the Auburn Police Department and the Washington State Patrol.