News Release
Date: December 13, 2010
Contact:Jodie Underwood
Number: (206) 553-5443

Monroe Man Sentenced to 20 Years in Prison for Meth Distribution and Weapon Charges

DEC 13 --  (Seattle) – Michael Anthony Johnson, 38, of Monroe, Washington, was sentenced on December 10, 2010 to 20 years in prison and 10 years of supervised release for four counts related to illegal drugs and weapons. Johnson was convicted by a jury on May 18, 2010 following a week-long trial. Johnson was convicted of conspiracy to distribute methamphetamine, possession of methamphetamine with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of an explosive.

“ The defendant made his choice to participate in such illegal acts and now he must pay the consequences,” said Assistant Special Agent in Charge Doug James.  “The Drug Enforcement Administration is committed to working collaboratively with our law enforcement partners and keeping our communities safe.” 

The investigation was initiated in December 2008, targeting a high-level methamphetamine transportation and trafficking organization with links to the ‘La Familia’ cartel based in Michoacán, Mexico. Johnson was identified for prosecution following the October 21, 2009, search of his Monroe residence. Inside Johnson’s residence, law enforcement located methamphetamine, a semi-automatic Bushmaster assault rifle, a Tec-9 semi-automatic handgun, ammunition, two military-issue explosives, and an improvised hand grenade. After the search of his residence and into February 2010, Johnson continued to commit criminal acts. Johnson was arrested after he attempted to flee Western Washington in a stolen car, carrying methamphetamine and a disguise. A review of evidence gathered during the course of the investigation revealed his role as a distributor of methamphetamine. In the course of the investigation, law enforcement seized 27 pounds of methamphetamine, 10 kilograms of cocaine, seven guns, and an estimated $150,000 in cash.

Johnson has ten prior criminal convictions, including convictions for assault (Kitsap County 1993), two convictions for illegal possession of a firearm (Kitsap County 1999 and 2002), attempted delivery of methamphetamine (Kitsap County 2000), bail jumping (Kitsap County 2002), attempting to elude a police vehicle (Kitsap County 2008), and unlawful possession of methamphetamine (Pierce County 2008).

This was an Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force (OCDETF) investigation, providing supplemental federal funding to the federal and state agencies involved. The case was investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and the South Snohomish County Narcotics Task Force consisting of Lynnwood Police Department, Mountlake Terrace Police Department and Edmonds Police Department. The Burien Police Department, King County Sheriff's Office, Seattle Police Department, Monroe Police Department, Washington State Patrol, Snohomish Regional Drug Task Force, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the U.S. Marshal's Service also participated in the investigation.