News Release
July 10, 2008
Contact: S/A Rich Isaacson
Number: (313) 234-4310

Ten People Sentenced to Combined 81 Years in "Speed" Conspiracy

JUL 10 -- PADUCAH, KY - Ten members of a major methamphetamine drug trafficking ring were sentenced on July 9, 2008, to a total of 81 years and 8 months for their roles in a conspiracy to distribute multiple pounds of methamphetamine, U.S. Attorney David L. Huber of the Western District of Kentucky announced today.

US Attorney Huber praised the cooperative efforts of the federal, state and local law enforcement agencies whose work resulted in this prosecution. According to Huber "A prosecution of this breath which, with a single sweep, has removed thirteen drug dealers from the streets of our communities does not happen by accident. Such a prosecution is the result of a dedication to duty and a cooperative spirit among our law enforcement community in Western Kentucky. The Kentucky State Police, Paducah Police Department and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) are all to be commended for their fine work in this case."

Those sentenced were: Russell Hunt, age 47, Henderson, Kentucky, sentenced to 15 years and 8 months; Stanley Wade Hopkins, age 35, Fredonia, Kentucky, sentenced to 10 years and 10 months; Kimberly Ann Cowsert, age 29, South Marion, Kentucky, sentenced to 9 years and 2 months; Randy Marcel Cowsert, age 37, South Marion, Kentucky, sentenced to 8 years and 4 months; Ollie Peek, age 53, Fredonia, Kentucky, sentenced to 7 years and 3 months; Michael Elliot Towery, age 38, Marion, Kentucky, sentenced to 7 years and 3 months; Stephanie Beth Holloman, age 28, Salem, Kentucky, sentenced to 6 years and 6 months; Thomas Ervin Dawes, age 46, Calvert City, Kentucky, sentenced to 5 years and 10 months; Michael D. Loveless, age 36, Salem, Kentucky, sentenced to 5 years 10 months; Riley Marie Baucum, age 22, Paducah, Kentucky, in McCracken County, sentenced to 5 years.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Michele L. Thielhorn, and it was investigated by the DEA, Kentucky State Police and Paducah Police Department.