News Release
June 5, 2007

Michigan Man Convicted for Selling Crack near High School

Grand Rapids, Michigan – United States Attorney Charles R. Gross announced that Terry Bernard Michael, age 29, of Grand Rapids, Michigan, was convicted by a federal jury today of four counts of drug dealing, including charges relating to his distribution of cocaine base (“crack” cocaine) within 1,000 feet of Catholic Central High School. The jury also convicted Michael of three counts of firearms violations, including a charge that he possessed a firearm in furtherance of his cocaine-trafficking.

Given the fact that Michael has two prior drug-trafficking convictions, he faces a
minimum sentence of ten years’ imprisonment, with a maximum potential sentence of life
imprisonment, on the drug-related convictions. He faces a statutorily-mandated sentence of five
years to life imprisonment for possessing a firearm in furtherance of drug trafficking, which
sentence must be served after his sentence for the drug trafficking offenses has been served.
This case arose from efforts by the Grand Rapids Police Department to address a growing
drug-trafficking problem in the “Heartside” neighborhood, which surrounds Catholic Central
High School. The investigation was a coordinated effort of the Grand Rapids Police Department, Vice Unit, and the federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

Mr. Gross praised the work of the Grand Rapids Police Department and the DEA, and
noted his appreciation for the cooperative approach the two agencies have developed in dealing
with the ongoing drug trafficking problem. “I am extremely proud of the dedication,
professionalism, and hard work of the entire investigative team, both the Vice officers and the
agents from the DEA” he said. Mr. Gross added: “Protecting the community from the scourge of
cocaine and other illicit drug trafficking is of paramount importance to the United States
Attorney’s Office, particularly when, as was the case here, that drug trafficking is taking place
within the shadow of a high school.”

Michael was remanded to the custody of the United States Marshal to await sentencing.
Sentencing is scheduled for September 18, 2007, before Chief United States District Judge
Robert Holmes Bell.

This case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Phil Green.