News Release
February 11, 2009
Contact: Joanna Zoltay
Number: 312-886-2597

West St. Paul Man Sentenced as Armed Career Criminal and Distribution of Crack Cocaine

FEB 11 -- (Minneapolis) A 25-year-old West St. Paul man was sentenced yesterday in federal court for being an armed career criminal who distributed cocaine base, commonly known as “crack” cocaine. On February 10, 2009 in Minneapolis, United States District Court Judge John Tunheim sentenced Yobarri Takie Eason to 220 months in prison and five years of supervised release on one count of distribution of 50 or more grams of crack cocaine and one count of being an armed career criminal. Eason was indicted on April 23, 2008, and pled guilty on July 17, 2008.

Eason’s plea agreement and sentencing is the result of a joint investigation by the DEA and St. Paul Police Department that revealed Eason was selling large amounts of crack cocaine in the Twin Cities area. During the course of the investigation, police arranged an undercover purchase of approximately 123.75 grams of crack cocaine from Eason on February 6, 2008. A second undercover purchase from Eason was conducted on April 1, 2008, after which Eason was arrested and police seized approximately 3 ounces of crack cocaine from inside his vehicle. A subsequent search warrant served at Eason’s residence resulted in the additional seizure of approximately 2 ounces of cocaine and three firearms.

As part of Eason’s plea agreement, he admitted that in St. Paul on February 6, 2008, he sold approximately 123.75 grams of crack cocaine for $3,000. Eason also admitted fleeing from his vehicle after being stopped by police for speeding in St. Paul. At the time of the traffic stop which occurred on March 15, 2008, Eason had a .45-caliber, semi-automatic handgun under the front seat of his vehicle. Eason also admitted that in St. Paul on April 1, 2008 he made arrangements to sell 81.69 grams of crack cocaine and had a .45-caliber, semi-automatic handgun, a .9mm pistol and a .22-caliber revolver in his residence.

This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Thomas M. Hollenhorst.