News Release
For Immediate Release:
April 22, 2009
Contact: Special Agent Tony Pettigrew
Number: 617-557-2138

New Haven Crack Dealer Sentenced to 20 Years in Federal Prison

APR 22 -- Steven W. Derr, Special Agent in Charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration for New England and Nora R. Dannehy, Acting United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that WILLIAM BALDWIN, 25, last residing on Sherman Court in New Haven, was sentenced today by United States District Judge Janet C. Hall in Bridgeport to 20 years of imprisonment for participating in a crack cocaine distribution ring.  On December 12, 2008, a federal jury found BALDWIN guilty of one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute 50 grams or more of cocaine base (“crack cocaine”).

This matter stems from “Operation No Nonsense,” an investigation conducted by the Drug Enforcement Administration-led New Haven Drug Task Force into a significant crack cocaine ring operating in and around the Newhallville section of New Haven.  According to the evidence disclosed during the trial, BALDWIN regularly obtained crack cocaine from co-defendant Mauriel Glover, which BALDWIN then distributed throughout the New Haven area.  Government evidence included court-authorized recordings of telephone calls in which BALDWIN and others discussed the purchase and sale of crack cocaine with Glover.

At the time of his arrest on January 10, 2008, BALDWIN possessed several grams of crack cocaine packaged for street sale in “dime,” or ten-dollar, bags

BALDWIN has been detained since his arrest.

On May 21, 2008, Glover pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute 50 grams or more of cocaine base.  He awaits sentencing.

Acting U.S. Attorney Dannehy noted that federal prisoners are required to serve at least 85 percent of their sentenced term of imprisonment and are not eligible for parole.

This case was investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration, the New Haven Police Department, the West Haven Police Department, the Shelton Police Department, the Meriden Police Department and the Branford Police Department.  The United States Marshals Service assisted in the arrests of several of the defendants in the case.