News Release
For Immediate Release:
November 25, 2008
Contact: Special Agent Tony Pettigrew
Number: 617-557-2138

Malden Man Pleads Guilty to Cocaine and Gun Charges

NOV 25 -- Boston, MA... A Malden man pled guilty today to dealing cocaine and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Kevin Lane, Acting Special Agent in Charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration - Boston Field Division, United States Attorney Michael J. Sullivan and Glenn N. Anderson, Special Agent in Charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives - Boston Field Division, announced today that JEROME COLEMAN, age 41, formerly of 59 Linwood Street, Malden, MA, pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge William G. Young to four counts of possession with intent to distribute cocaine and one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm. As a result of his prior history of narcotics dealing, COLEMAN is being prosecuted as a career offender and an armed career criminal under federal law.

At today’s plea hearing, the Government told the Court that had the case proceeded to trial the evidence would have proven that the defendant sold cocaine to a cooperating witness on three occasions in the summer of 2004. The first sale occurred on Sever Street in Boston on June 16, 2004, and was two ounces of cocaine for a payment of $1,800. The second sale occurred on Cambridge Street in Alston on June 28, 2004, and was five ounces of cocaine for $4,650. The third sale occurred on Babcock Street in Brookline on July 2, 2004, and was five ounces of cocaine for $4,650. A forth sale, planned for three ounces of cocaine and a Taurus handgun, was planned for July 15, 2004 outside the Galleria Mall in Cambridge. Just prior to the transaction Coleman fled the scene. In his flight path he discarded a bag containing three ounces of cocaine, the Taurus handgun and 26 rounds of ammunition.

Judge Young scheduled sentencing for March 2, 2009, at 2:30 p.m. COLEMAN faces the following maximum penalties: on each of Counts 1-4 of the Indictment he faces a maximum penalty of 30 years incarceration, a $2 million fine, and 6 years to life of supervised release; on Count 5 of the Indictment, he faces a mandatory minimum penalty of 15 years incarceration with a maximum of life, a $250,000 fine and 5 years of supervised release. The case was investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Drug Enforcement Administration. It is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney John T. McNeil of Sullivan’s Public Corruption and Special Prosecutions Unit.