News Release
For Immediate Release:
Contact: Special Agent Tony Pettigrew
Phone: 617-557-2138

September 26, 2008

Supplier of New Haven Heroin Trafficking Ring Sentenced to 70 Months in Federal Prison

SEP 26 -- Kevin L. Lane, Acting Special Agent in Charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration in New England and Nora R. Dannehy, Acting United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that APOLINAR VICTORIO, also known as “Papito,” 50, of the Bronx, New York, was sentenced today by Senior United States District Judge Alfred V. Covello in Hartford to 70 months of imprisonment, followed by five years of supervised release.  On July 2, 2008, VICTORIO pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute one kilogram or more of heroin.

According to documents filed with the Court and statements made in court, VICTORIO was the principal supplier of heroin to a New Haven-based distribution organization headed by Benjamin Munoz.  On August 10, 2005, a federal grand jury sitting in New Haven returned an Indictment charging VICTORIO, Munoz and seven others with narcotics conspiracy violations.  The charges arose from an investigation conducted by the Drug Enforcement Administration’s New Haven Drug Task Force, in conjunction with the Connecticut State Police, into the distribution of heroin throughout the New Haven area by Munoz and his associates. 

A variety of traditional and sophisticated investigative techniques were employed by the Task Force, including court-authorized wiretaps, and undercover purchases and seizures of heroin.  The investigation disclosed that the drug organization was obtaining large quantities of heroin in New York, from VICTORIO, and transporting it to New Haven for resale.  Wiretap intercepts also revealed that, on one occasion, Munoz transported a kilogram of heroin to Philadelphia for VICTORIO.

Shortly after Munoz was arrested in August 2005, VICTORIO fled to the Dominican Republic and remained a fugitive from justice for more than two years.  On October 24, 2007, he was captured by the United States Marshals Service in the Bronx.

Munoz pleaded guilty to the same heroin conspiracy charge.  On September 16, 2008, Judge Covello sentenced Munoz to 78 months of imprisonment, followed by five years of supervised release.

This matter was investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration’s New Haven Drug Task Force, which includes agents and officers from the DEA, the New Haven, West Haven, Meriden, and Branford police departments, and the Connecticut State Police.  The United States Marshals Service assisted in the investigation.