News Release
For Immediate Release:
Contact: Special Agent Tony Pettigrew
Phone: 617-557-2138

August 22, 2008

New London Man Sentenced to 70 Months for Dealing Crack

AUG 22 -- Kevin L. Lane, Acting Special Agent in Charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration in New England and Nora R. Dannehy, Acting United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that JEREMIAH SIMONS, also known as “J,” 20, last residing on Colman Street in New London, was sentenced today by United States District Judge Alvin W. Thompson in Hartford to 70 months of imprisonment, followed by five years of supervised release. On November 29, 2006, SIMONS pleaded guilty to one count of possession with intent to distribute, and distribution of, five grams or more of cocaine base (“crack cocaine”).

According to documents filed with the Court and statements made in court, in February 2006, an individual cooperating with law enforcement made controlled purchases of crack cocaine from SIMONS and Tyrone Henry, also known as “Blondie.”. The purchases were surveilled by law enforcement and recorded by the cooperating witness.

SIMONS has been detained since his arrest in May 2006.

On May 30, 2008, Henry was sentenced to 162 months of imprisonment, followed by eight years of supervised release.

This prosecution is part of an ongoing federal, state and local law enforcement effort to quell violence fueled by the drug trade in southeastern Connecticut. On December 1, 2005, Deshawn Stewart was killed in a hit and run in retaliation for a gunpoint robbery of two individuals in New London in which he took part. Following Stewart’s death, the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives intensified its relationship with the New London and Norwich Police Departments in order to investigate narcotics and firearms trafficking in the area, and target habitual offenders and individuals with violent histories for federal prosecution. To date, more than 30 individuals have been charged with federal crimes as a result of this joint investigative effort. Several additional individuals have been prosecuted by the New London States Attorney’s Office. The effort, which has expanded to include several additional police departments and the Connecticut State Police, also has removed more than two dozen illegal firearms from the streets.

This case was investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the New London Police Department.