News Release
April 5, 2007

New York Man Sentenced To More Than Five Years In Federal
Prison For Distributing Cocaine

APR 5 -- June W. Stansbury, Special Agent in Charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration in New England and Kevin J. O’Connor, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, today announced that RAYMOND FAIREZ, age 39, of the Bronx, New York, was sentenced yesterday, April 4, by United States District Judge Stefan R. Underhill in Bridgeport to 64 months of imprisonment, followed by five years of supervised release. FAIREZ was also ordered to forfeit several bank accounts and a commercial building in New Jersey, all of which constituted the proceeds of his drug trafficking activities. On October 28, 2004, FAIREZ pleaded guilty to charges that he conspired to possess with intent to distribute cocaine.

FAIREZ was one of 25 individuals arrested in February 2004 as part of a long-term investigation spearheaded by the Drug Enforcement Administration into the distribution of multi-kilogram quantities of cocaine, “crack” cocaine and marijuana in Bridgeport and the surrounding area. During the investigation, the DEA Task Force obtained court-authorized wiretaps for several different telephones used by members of this drug organization, including Luis Quiles. As revealed in court proceedings, the wiretaps exposed a vast organization headed by Quiles which was responsible for the distribution of multi-kilogram quantities of cocaine each week on the streets of Bridgeport and surrounding towns. As further revealed in court proceedings, FAIREZ was one of several individuals who supplied cocaine to the Quiles organization. Of the 25 individuals charged in this matter, 23 have been convicted; two remain fugitives. Seized during the investigation were approximately eight kilograms of cocaine, nearly 300 grams of crack cocaine, several firearms and approximately $1 million in drug proceeds.

U.S. Attorney O’Connor commended the law enforcement agents and officers who conducted the investigation and praised their devoted efforts to identify, disrupt and dismantle this multi-kilogram cocaine and crack cocaine trafficking operation.

This matter was investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration Task Force in Bridgeport, which is composed of agents and officers from the DEA, Connecticut State Police, and several local police departments.